some music i've been loving

i had to post another this morning to reflect the most recent mp3 mix i made for in the car. it includes several bands i'm not terribly familiar with, some of which i've never listened to but somehow ended up in my itunes, i think through persuasive rhapsody pages.

so the highlights are as follows:
  1. Frou Frou: The album is "Details" and is spectacular. Their sound is reminiscent of Ivy which is another of my alltime favorites; sort of a down-tempo-meets-quality-pop thing. Check out track 10, "The Dumbing Down of Love," for some lilting vocals and smooth muted trumpets. The vocals overall are very notable: unique and beautiful.
  2. Grandaddy: Turns out these guys are pretty prolific, if their discography is any indication. I'm listening to Sumday and really digging it. My current favorites are track 2, "I'm on Standby," and track 8, "Saddest Vacant Lot in all the World." These guys are on the mellow side of indie rock with a vocal that has really grown on me.
  3. Glassbyrd: The album is "Open Wide This Window." These guys are the a sort of reconfiguration of The Choir and/or Common Children. (i can't remember and i can't find a website to tell me). they don't appear to have a website at all, which is extrememly disappointing, but they can write. Tracks 1, 2 and 7, "This Window," "Tonight (I Want to Live In Your World)," and "Mercy," respectively, are my current highlights. I really enjoy the smooth layers of guitars and how they cascade over my head like warm, thick rain.
  4. Gotan Project: I really have to be in the right mood to listen to lyricless music, but this album, "La Revancha Del Tango," is beautiful, if a bit repetitive, and changes up just enough to keep me involved. For an instrumental record, it's in my top 5.
reply with your recent favorites. i'm really in a discovering mood lately.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:58 PM

    Can't say i have heard any of those bands.

    I am all for someone spreading the Fantastic Fridays love around! I am sure between the two of us we can come up with some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts