Moving Just Got Easier

Moving is one of the most frustrating activities a family can undertake. Between packing, mail forwarding, address changes, new phone numbers, setting up utilities and services, and just simply adjusting to a new home, town, or even country, there is scant little margin for error. Organization is on of the best ways to stay on top of these things, but it's so easy for something to slip through the cracks.

That's where moveme.com comes in. When I was contacted about reviewing this site**, I was curious what sort of services a web site could offer for movers. As I began to browse the site, I was very impressed at the thorough nature of the services offered there. There are links, and often discounts, for everything from mortgage quotes and locksmiths to advice on moving with disabilities.

My favorite feature thus far is the planner feature. I simply logged in, and chose my projected moving date. The next screen is a calendar filled with important reminders for my move. Each day has a different task to do, and the whole thing is spread out over several weeks, so that I don't find myself needing to make 50 phone calls in a single day.


As you can see, the reminders run the gamut from informing your mobile phone service provider, to stopping junk mail at your old and new addresses. What's that? You don't know who to contact about stopping junk mail? Well, simply click on the date and you get a nice little modal pop-up window explaining what you need to do, and when necessary, links to do so. When I clicked on the "stop junk mail" day, I got a window with a link to stop junk mail. This help box also had a link to stop unwanted sales calls, and a box to tick when the task is finished. On top of the tasks that moveme.com fills in automatically, you can add a task easily by clicking the (you guessed it) "add a task" button.

In addition to some of the cooler features, there are also the features that one would expect from such a site, such as free mortgage quotes, and removal quotes (that's moving companies for all you Yanks). And if it's formal accolades that you trust, this site won both the Yahoo Innovation Award and the Yahoo People's Choice Award.

Overall, I was very impressed by this site. It is very simple to use, which is a huge plus in the stress surrounding moving day. The tools offered therein are extensive and practical. The next time I move, moveme.com will be doing the heavy lifting, provided they extend their service to the United States. Actually, despite the fact that the site is currently only geared for England, Scotland and Wales, the moveme.com planner is an invaluable tool for any move, regardless of which side of the Atlantic you call home.


**In the spirit of full disclosure this is a paid review. I was paid in advance to ensure as much balance as possible. The opinions herein are based on my experience with this site and I would encourage you to navigate there and check it out for yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts