i found a great site today with some tips on how to avoid spam. i just finished making necessary improvements to the sites i administrate.
this list is courtesy of junkbusters. all the links go to the same page, just different spots on the page. there weren't as many links as headings. sorry.
- reduce exposure to harvesting - create a bot-resistant site by avoiding linking to your email (href mailto:) and by getting creative with your email address posting, like yourname[atsign]your domain. this way your email address won't read like an email address to those soulless machines.
- make sure your browsing isn't giving you away - i didn't really understand what this one was talking about, but here's a link to it anyway.
- request anonymity from sources of addresses - if possible, opt out of any member directories you're a part of. they are favorites of spammers.
- report spammers to isp's and email providers - how exactly does this need expanded?
- report spammers to law enforcement - sick "the man" on them
- what about removal services? - some of them are garbage and some may actually add you to more lists. i propose that anytime you find a list of anything, you brun it. the less lists there are, the less lists spammers will likely have with my email address on it.